Monday, July 31, 2006

Second class mobiles

I bought a new mobile phone on Saturday. A simple transaction I would have thought, especially as I knew which phone I wanted and as it was a 'pay as you go' phone, there wasn't even a lengthy contract to wade through.

However, I was surprised. If you're not buying a phone on contract, you're viewed by the big mobile phone companies as a second class punter. Here's why:

Carphone Warehouse- Once I'd said 'pay as you go' (PAYG) their interest in me evaporated. When I asked a sales assistant to assist me, he did so without speaking. Whilst I was examaining the phone he just stared at me. When I made a comment about the phone - he just stared at me. I thought he might have actually died.
I left the shop.
Company slogan "Get treated like a star at the Carphone Warehouse" Clearly not.

The Link- When I asked for a demonstration of the phone they said "we don't do demo's for PAYG phones". What?
I left the shop.
Company slogan "At the Link it's easy.." Unless you're PAYG.

Phones4U- When I pointed out that the phone I wanted, in their shop, was more expensive than in other shops, the sales assistant said "we don't price-match on PAYG phones" Je ne comprend.
I left the shop
Company slogan "Phones For You" But not YOU, dear PAYG punter.

I finally got my phone from my network's own shop. Orange were helpful, friendly and easy to chat to. They went through the new phone with me, switched all my contact and stuff on to my new phone and were just great. I didn't feel like a second class citizen. Other phone suppliers are available.

So why do some companies seem to value PAYG customers so little? Well the lack of a very healthy and contracted commitment would be the obvious reason. But there are millions of PAYG and to be honest, with service like I received on Saturday, I'm very glad that I don't have a contract with any of them.

Now I've got to go - my phone's ringing.

No comments: