Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Proud to be .. er .. British?

If you live in France, you're French. I've you live in Nigeria, you're Nigerian. If you live in Chile, you're Chilean. You get the idea. However, if you live in Britain, you're British but also English or Welsh or Scottish or (Northern) Irish. Hmmmm.

If you ask where I live, I can say England or the United Kingdom or Great Britain. Mind you, although these isles are often referred to as either the United Kingdom (UK) or Great Britain (GB), the official title is 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'. Hope you're still with me. It's a country and a sovereign state . Marvelous.

So the 'UK' is a 'political union' made up of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland (but not the southern part - Eire). This means that I am both English and British. I think. My passport describes me as British even though my place of birth is listed as England. Wow, I seem to have dual nationality. Er .. possibly?

When I am asked my nationality, I say "British" but if I'm asked where I'm from, I say "England". I don't actually know what the difference is or, indeed, if there is a difference. What I do know is that I wish I could just give a simple bloody answer to a simple question.

Like "Do you like cress?"

No comments: