Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Well burger me

A converstaion arose at work today which got us all thinking. Now everyone's heard of McDonalds and Burger King. These meaty, global behemoths are known the world over and have all but monopolised the 'beef in a bun market'. Almost.

Step forward Wimpy! We couldn't believe that this company is still going. We remembered Wimpy from our childhoods when it was the quintessentially British version of the Amercian 'diner' experience. It was all table service, napkins and yes, knives and forks. So quaint and so NOT fast food as we know now it.

And yet, Wimpy survives. A look at their website informs you that they currently have over 250 franchised restaurants in the UK. Two hundred and fifty! It's truly amazing, yet still rather quaint and sweet. Now I'd love to try and recreate that 70's experience by sampling a Wimpy again. However, I don't know if they do any veggie stuff (yes, I'm one of those) although deep down, I sort of hope they don't cater for the modern market. It wouldn't be right somehow. So if anyone has had a Wimpy in the last 9 years, please do let me know.

You'll be eating for Britain you know.

No comments: