Sunday, July 16, 2006

Dry clean dream?

Human nature is great. And it always surprises me how strange people can be whilst at the same time being very nice. If still a bit odd. Case in point - the other day I took my suit to the local dry cleaners (I promise, this really happened). It's an independent business and has just had a bit of a refurb.

Despite the refurb, the place still managed to exude an air of 1970's bed & breakfast mixed with 21st century technology. The place was empty but I found a small note Sellotaped to the counter which read 'Please ring the bell for atension' (yep, that's how it was spelt) next to which was a small hand bell which I was required to ring to alert the member of staff. I duly rang my bell ...

The 'mature'lady who appeared began talking to me as though I'd known her for thirty years. She prattled cheerfully on, telling me that her daughter worked there sometimes and that Asda's new dry cleaning service was £2.50 more for a suit than it was here. She managed to write most of my dry cleaning chit out (including dating it as September) before advsing me that they had just had a brand new dry cleaning machine installed. I politely expressed great interest in this news, which was a mistake. "Come and have a look" she said excitedly as she ushered me into the back of the building.

"Bit bigger than your usual washing machine isn't it me duck" she proudly announced before directing round the rear of the machine to see all it's pipes, valves and electrics. "German" she said as if the word 'German' explained it all. "Twenty five thousand quid that cost and it's the only one in England" she continued with pride. "Very good" I muttered before managing to creep back to the front of the shop where she finally gave me my receipt. "I hope I haven't bored you" she said. "Not at all" I lied as I began to retreat to the safety of the street outside. "I only work Thursday's!" she shouted after me. I smiled weakly and made good my escape.

I shall pick my suit up on Monday. Just in case.

No comments: