Thursday, December 28, 2006

Back to work

I suppose it had to happen. Work. The weird thing is though that when I came back, everything was almost exactly the same as when I finished work on Saturday afternoon. Now that's both good and bad. It's good in that I was able to slide back into things without any problems. It's bad in that it made me feel like I'd never been away. It's almost like Xmas never happened.

Now feeling like something never happened has got me thinking about amnesia. There was great film I saw which was all about a bloke who lost his memory and had to piece his life back together bit by bit to find out how and why he murdered someone. The thing is, I can't remember the name of the bloody film. My wife will remember though.

She has an astonishing ability to recall characters, plots, sub-plots and actors from tons of films. She's also very good at watching films. By this I mean that even if something is evidently quite seriously crap, she'll just keep right on to the end. I don't think she's ever given up on a film, no matter how abysmal. Now, me, I'll happily press 'stop' on the old DVD player if the film is really poor, but not her. She'll carry stoically on to the bitter end regardless. I really do admire her fortitude.

She reminds me of a film critic. If you're a crtitic you simply have to watch movies in their entirety so that you can provide a full and detailed critique afterwards. So that's what my wife does, which is admirable but not always neccessary. For example after about 4 minutes of the 2002 film 'The Secretary', I was able to declare that it was indeed, crap. 100 minutes later my wife came to the same conclusion. And my point? I saved 100 minutes of my life. Yet, I must be fair. She often watches films that have had awful reviews or start off really badly but have actually turned out to be little crackers. So maybe she's right after all. Oh, I appear to be rambling. How did I get on to this subject? I can't remember.

Oh yes, amnesia. Er..

1 comment:

Kelvin Aston said...

Memento? Starring Guy Pearce I think...