Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Long fuse

Someone really, really angered me yesterday. I'm still extremely annoyed even today and can feel my wrath rising as I write. This is very unusual for me. True, I do develop mild road rage (call it road irritation) when I'm driving, but otherwise it takes a lot to rile me. I am blessed with a very long fuse.

However, yesterday just blew me away. I shall spare you the details but I will say that the person concerned was completely unreasonable and staggeringly rude. Now I didn't react to the situation. I remained calm and professional but was boiling like a kettle on a volcano underneath. Now I mention my lack of reaction, because although I have the longest fuse on the planet, when it goes, it goes.

When I was about six one of my classmates at school began trying to bully me one day. I was an extremely placid little chap but that day, my young fuse burnt right out. I smashed the child's head, several times, onto the sharp edge of a sturdy wooden bench. If I remember, the lad ended up with a couple of stitches on his scalp.

I've never so much as prodded another living being in anger, for the past 34 years. I came very close yesterday though. Now I'm nearly back to my usual relaxed (and wonderful) self and my fuse is still intact.

Until next time ....

No comments: