Friday, April 06, 2007

Shellsuit Heaven part 1

A few years ago I had a website called Shellsuit Heaven. It was a homage to crap fashion and was inspired by that classic 80's fashion horror - the shellsuit. I decided that it would be great to celebrate the fashion nightmares that paraded around our streets and so I decided to launch the site.

My good friend who was, and still is a computer genius, designed a brilliant site complete with 'holy gates' which lead you into the world of awful clothing. The site consisted primarily of covert photos (not digital!) which I'd taken of members of the public whom I found wearing abysmal clothes. Obviously, the ultimate goal was always to get a picture of someone actually wearing a shellsuit. This was very tricky as almost no-one wore them after the early 90's. But then, human behaviour is a wonderful thing and, god love 'em, I did manage to get a couple of corking pics.

At the time, it was de rigeur to have a guest book where site visitors could leave their thoughts and opinions. This was really successful and I had a healthy amount of positive feedback. I also added a rather unusual element to the site which was a diary of the fictional head of Shellsuit Heaven (which was me of course) in the guise of 'the Reverend' who oversaw the 'parish' of Shellsuit Heaven. This was just a little humorous addition to the site that actually proved to be really popular.

So, I thought you might like to read a few of the Reverend's diary entries. They're not hilarious or even that witty. Rather, they're a mild distraction for a few moments and I'm quite fond of them, as I was of the whole, fabulously designed site. My chum even designed a brilliant online game whereby you had to drive the Reverend's ancient Citroen 2CV whilst avoiding 'holy' obstacles. Anyway, I shall bring you some tidbits from the diary over the next few days.

Bless you all ...

No comments: