Monday, October 02, 2006

Hooray for Sild

You've probably never heard of Sild. However, I love the stuff. Not to eat you understand, oh no. I just love the stupid name and the fact that Sild is nothing more than young Herring. What a fabulous name for a teenage fish. I believe you can still buy it in supermarkets but I'm thinking it may have a limited market in the UK. Or anywhere else on the planet.

I used to have a tin of it which I kept on a shelf in the kitchen. I only kept it because it was always a talking point. Firstly because people would ask what the hell it was and secondly because they would wonder why I kept it. Obviously you have to be a bit soft in the head to keep a tin of fish on a shelf for four years, but actually I saw it more as a celebration of something just pointless. I mean, why young herring? And also, who came up with the catchy name?

Probably the same people who thought of Cilit Bang

No comments: