Monday, March 13, 2006

Lighthouses and randomness


I don't think I'll ever discover how my mind works. Example - I was just sitting here at work having my lunch 'al-desko' and suddenly had the urge to find out about lighthouses. I've since learnt, in the last 1 minute, that Cornwall has 10 lighthouses, the Association of Lighthouse Keepers has a quarterly journal called 'The Lamp' and the Tasman Island Lighthouse (in Tasmania) is 100 years old on 2nd April 2006. Now, fascinating as this info may be, I can't help but wonder why in God's name my mind makes such random decisions.

I am a very spur-of-the-moment sort of person and often make decisions which I instantly regret. Like the time I put both my feet on the handlebars of my bike when I was 11. Or the time I accepted a summer job at a watercress processing factory. However, these sort of decisions are fairly common for many people. The lighthouse thing is rather different.

I am convinced that my sub-conscious mind actually wears the trousers in the 'conscious / sub-conscious' relationship that exists inside my cranium. The result is that I think or say things that often take me completely by surprise. This would explain why when I say something funny, I actually laugh at it as much as everyone else in the room.

On reflection, perhaps I'm just mad.

No comments: