Friday, February 29, 2008

Pheromone failure?

My boss's boss at work was telling me that she's convinced that testosterone makes computers work. Stick with me on this. There was a problem with our 'puters at work the other week. I think the server had been used as a Breville Toastie by someone from Marketing or something. Anyway, everything was buggered and not responding - a bit like when ET's little heartbeat was beating feebly inside his teeny tiny alien chest...

Anyway, having no luck with the server, she called our IT support company. They went through loads of things over the phone, all to no avail. Eventually the chap on the other end of the phone said he'd just have to come over to see us in person. My boss's boss had also phoned our own IT bloke (who works part-time) and had another long phone call which resulted in the same decision. He decided to come in to work.

The two men arrived at my illustrious workplace at the same time. Sorry, I just said 'illustrious'. I meant to say 'lean-to'. I digress. The chaps headed up to the server room where they met with my boss's boss. The server was still operating about as well as a eunuch with Erectile Dysfuntion. It did not look good.

The two men stared at the server .... and it began to work! It really did. They literally came into the server room, looked at the mighty behemoth and it just began working again. My boss's boss is convinced that it was the men's combined flood of testosterone that did the trick.

Sounds like a load of b*llocks to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the stuff our IT guys (male !!!) say to us when it all goes to the dogs. Either that or it's our 'fat fingers that hit the wrong keys and cause it to crash'.

Put like that - it's so simple, ennit !

Mickey B

Kelvin Aston said...

I've long held that IT 'guys' have an aura that is machine friendly. It explains why, when they turn up, the problems cease and you're left feeling more than a little stupid.

Of course, every silver lining has its cloud. In this case, the aura (or pheromones) that cause computers to start working have the adverse side effect of causing women to laugh behind their backs, hair to grow long and lank and 'Fantasy Roleplaying' to become appealing.

It's a tough trade off...