Saturday, April 05, 2008

Hairy business

I had my first haircut in four years today. Yes, really - four years. Now obviously it has actually been cut in all that time - just not by a professional. I did it myself. Oh and this is NOT a picture of me. Dear God - give me some credit.

Not only did I do it myself, I did it with real style. I utilised a pair of kitchen scissors for my cutting implements and the metallic lid of the flip-top kitchen bin as my mirror. Mind you, I often managed a quick trim without the aid of the bin-mirror by simply finding a clump of hair that felt longer than the rest and just sort of lopping it off.

I'm actually chuckling as I write this because I have amusing hair (where it exists) anyway and my long-term mutilation of my locks just added to the overall hilarity of my hair 'style' - often compared to a mad farmer or an Open University TV presenter from 1974.

Now though, I cut a dashing figure and even my slaphead has taken on an air of quiet confidence despite my less than hirsute bonce. It's been a long and sometimes rocky four years of self-coiffeuring but I finally realised that my 'special' hairstyle was doing me no favours, especially as I'm so naturally good-looking ... at night, in the shadows, from 1000 paces and facing the wall. So, my DIY barbering days are over and the bin lid is just a bin lid again.

I might try home dentistry instead though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

... and if you can recommend your man/woman give me their phone number. It's been decades since I've had a decent haircut. (Think I about 10 at the time ?) Where have you gone to,'Marco & Anthony'?
An ex of mine once said of my locks, 'You're not a sophisticated hair-cut, Babe'. Very true words, but didn't do a lot for me at the time ... Still, they've kept me going down through the years. Hola!

Mickey B