Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Birmingham is great


I lived in Birmingham for a few years and I fell in love with the place. Birmingham is also fondly known as 'Brum' and the people who live there are called 'Brummies'. It also helps that I'm a Birmingham City (football)fan - 'The Blues', although at the moment they are doing quite badly in the Premiership, so we won't talk about that right now.

Birmingham is the second largest city in England and is located in the Midlands, which occupies the central area of the country. The people there are just great and display a truly wonderful ability to be quite self-deprecating. This is a quality I really admire and their humour is extremely witty and often sarcastic, but tinged with a sort of warmth and beguiling charm. This appealing nature of Brummies is one of the main reasons for my affection for the city and the people who live there. By the way, this isn't a history of Birmingham, or a celebration of Brummie humour and demeanour. It's just that I've had 2 litres of strong cider and I'm all over the place. I shall say 'goodnight' and just mention that today's photo is of Selfridges in Birmingham. It's very posh.

Rather like myself ...

No comments: